RTnet has been designed to lend real-time networking functionality to both the RTAI and Xenomai environments. This document seeks to serve as a springboard for the beginner into RTnet with Xenomai. The following links gives more information regarding various aspects of the installation and programming of RTnet in the Xenomai environment.
The code of the RTnet project is organized in a modular way. The usual big picture is a TDMA realtime fieldbus, but you can also use RTnet for much simpler tasks, such as realtime point-to-point communication.
For simpler tasks, you may not need all of RTnet. These help slides (in german) may help.
After the installation of RTnet there should be two folders of interest regarding RTnet.
The first is the RTnet source where the RTnet source code is located. Its default location is at _/usr/src/rtnet-x.y.z .
This folder will in future be referenced to as *. In this folder the raw RTnet code is located. The sub folders of interest to the normal programmer is the *Documentation/ and examples/ folders. The Documentation/ folder contains basic information regarding the structure and used of functionalities in RTnet. On the other hand the examples/ folder contains the source code of the examples that has been compiled and placed in the /examples folder.
The second folder of interest is the folder where RTnet was installed into. The default location for this would be /usr/local/rtnet.
This folder will be referred to in the future as . The installation folder contains all of the compiled executables and kernel modules needed to run RTnet. The sub folders in are discussed next.
- etc: The two setup configuration files for RTnet are located in this folder. rtnet.conf and tdma.conf settings are both discussed in this document.
- examples: The compiled RTnet examples are placed here.
- sbin: In this folder there are various scripts that are used to run and configure RTnet.
- include: This is the folder that contains the include files that will be used in compliling any RTnet programs.
- modules: The compiled modules for RTnet and all of the components to make it run efficiently along with the real-time device drivers, are located here.