[Xenomai] [patch] prepare_kernel.sh --board argument

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Fri Apr 4 11:16:05 CEST 2014

On 04/02/2014 07:37 PM, Gregory Dymarek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From ealier discussion - given the evolution pace of ARM platforms, it
> seems we will always have -pre and -post patches, so it would make
> sense to add this support to prepare-kernel.sh.
>
> Included patch that adds support for --board parameter to the
> prepare_kernel.sh script. This will cause prepare_kernel.sh to apply
> automatically pre and post patches if available.
>
> When --board is provided the script will look for optional board
> patches in the folder that ipipe patch is and in $board subfolder if
> exsists.
> It expects the patch name to be: {ipipe_base_name}-{board_name}-{pre,post}-*
> Where {ipipe_base_name} is the ipipe name before the last '-'.
>
> Example:
> For ipipe-core-3.10.18-arm-1.patch and --board=raspberry it will look for:
> - ipipe-core-3.10.18-arm-raspberry-{pre,post}-*.patch

Hi Gregory,

sorry for not answering earlier. The --board argument looks
complicated, and misleading. Complicated because it imposes restrictions
on -pre and -post patch names which do not exist currently. Misleading,
because applying pre- and post- patches is not
really board specific but more specific to kernel forks, which may more
aim at supporting SOC or even SOC family peripherals, but are not
restricted to that (think of Android for instance). Anyway, it would
be much simpler to modify the --ipipe argument to allow passing a list
of patches separated by comas.

For instance

prepare-kernel.sh --ipipe patch1.patch,patch2.patch,patch3.patch

would apply the three patches patch1.patch, path2.patch and patch3.patch
sequentially.

Regards.