[Xenomai] Command line freeze during xeno-regression-test on omap4460

Andreas Glatz andi.glatz at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:19:39 CEST 2014

On 4 Apr 2014, at 11:44, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:

> On 04/04/2014 12:27 PM, Andreas Glatz wrote:
>> Hi Gilles,
>>
>> I'm finally back to my original problem below:

>>> That is because kill xeno-regression-test does not kill all the
>>> script children. So, basically, the load tasks are still running.
>>> Also, what filesystem is /tmp? dohell is using dd to alternatively
>>> write to /tmp, then erase the file. If /tmp is some flash, it will
>>> become slow after a while. If it is a tmpfs, it will eat RAM.
>>>

>> The described problem is _very_ reproducible on my PandaBoard ES
>> (omap4460), where I boot from an SD card partition and the rootfs is
>> also on the SD card partition. I tried it with several kernel
>> versions
>> (3.8.13, 3.10.18, and 3.10.34) with the latest ipipe and xenomai from
>> git the git repos. Everytime I start the regression test (see command
>> above) the following happens: Everything works fine until the switch/
>> latency tests start. Then I see that there is heavy access to the SD
>> card, which is expected, as the status LED 2 is blinking. After
>> ~5mins
>> this status LED is constantly on. That's when I know that everything
>> is over. On the console I can only execute commands that are already
>> in RAM, such as the bash things like ps, mount, ... However, if I try
>> a simple 'touch new' it blocks forever and I know that it blocks in
>> the syscall where the file should be created, because I looked at it
>> with strace. I tried several things: I turned off CONFIG_PM (which
>> was
>> on by default), turned on the MMC debugging, put extra prink's in the
>> omap_hsmmc.c ISR. However, everything seems to work on this level:
>> DMA
>> requests are started and do finish, the ISR is called regularly (bc
>> first I though that Xenomai would starve it).
>>
>> Have you every run Xenonmai on this _specific_ board (since
>> everything
>> is running smoothly on the omap5 board)?
>> Any more ideas how to debug it?
>>
>> Currently, I'm compiling the ipipe trace in hope that it would tell
>> me
>> something useful...
>>
>> Oh yes, the best bit is that the regression test works perfectly fine
>> if I boot from an external USB HD _AND_ unmount (!) all MMC
>> partitions.
>
> So, the MMC driver has a problem. Have you tried:
> - running the exact same kernel configuration only with CONFIG_XENOMAI
> disabled (and stress with dohell)
> - then with CONFIG_XENOMAI and CONFIG_IPIPE disabled.
>
> Also, do you have this patch in the tree you tried?
> http://git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git/commit/?h=stable/ipipe-3.10.18&id=c26e7ad5679f9391cd8ea1db001bf301d2f6bc88

I did try the regression test without the switch/latency tests (aka: '/
usr/lib/xenomai/testsuite/dohell -m /tmp -l /opt/ltp') and, as far as
I recall, they finished successfully. I also couldn't find any error
reports about the omap mmc driver on the kernel mailing list. The only
thing I found was this patch [1], which I also applied. It didn't
change a thing though.

However, I'll try an run the test you suggested on my shiny new
3.10.34 kernel. I built it last Monday after merging all the ipipe git
stuff with CNelsons 3.18.14 kernel. I saw that the patch you mentioned
is in the 3.10.18 tree. Shall I apply it to my kernel as well?

A.

[1] http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-omap/msg104712.html