[Xenomai] real-time support for CAN-USB devices

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Tue Apr 8 20:44:01 CEST 2014

On 04/08/2014 08:01 PM, Mnatsakanyan, M. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am repeating this post because I found out that I did not keep one of the rules
> of mailing list etiquette. Sorry for that. Hopefully this was a reason that my
> question is not being answered.
>
> So here is my question:
> In a Dutch research organization we develop a prototype of a real-time driver
> assistance system based on Xenomai. In non-RT version of this system we widely
> use CAN-USB devices and would like to continue using them also in RT version,
> but we realized that CAN-USB devices are not supported by Xenomai.
> To estimate the future development perspectives for our real-time prototype,
> we would like to know whether you envision the CAN-USB device support in near
> future.

Well, you received no answer because of the question you asked: if
nobody is working on such a solution, but nobody knows if somebody else
is working, nobody will answer your question. So, I guess the absence of
answer is the good sign that nobody is working on such of solution, or
that people not working on such a solution are not willing to communicate.

Now, we do not have an in-tree RT USB stack, you would need that as a
start. Such a stack exists, USB4RT, but the page:
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/usb4rt/

does not look very active (only one release, and never updated).

The usb20rt project looks more promising:
http://developer.berlios.de/projects/usb20rt/