[Xenomai] Xenomai Red Hat packaging

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Sun Apr 20 18:53:58 CEST 2014

Le 06/01/2014 23:40, John Morris a écrit :
> On 01/06/2014 02:52 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
>> On 01/06/2014 09:10 PM, John Morris wrote:
>>> Here are the packaging materials I've been using on Red Hat Enterprise
>>> Linux clones for some time now, also recently updated for Fedora.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/zultron/xenomai-rpm
>>>
>>> The packaging is pretty straightforward, and follows the Debian
>>> packaging for the xenomai-devel subpackage.
>>>
>>> A significant addition is the 'xenomai-gid-ctl' script for configuring
>>> non-root access to Xenomai services, plus sysv and systemd boot init
>>> scripts.
>>
>> Are these specific to Red Hat, or can we put them in the set of files
>> installed by default?
>
> The 'xenomai-gid-ctl' script should work anywhere.
>
> The 'xenomai.default' file (installed into /etc/default/xenomai) works
> with RH- & Debian-derivatives, and other distros with the /etc/default
> directory.  /etc/default/xenomai is only used to override the default
> 'xenomai' group, is semi-optional, and may be relocated.
>
> Installing 'xenomai-gid-ctl' (and 'xenomai.default', if /etc/default
> exists) from 'make install' could be useful to the end user, since it is
> a stand-alone utility.
>
> The EL6 sysv init script needs modification to support Debian's LSB init
> system, simple for someone more familiar.
>
> Other projects I'm familiar with often ship system init scripts in a
> e.g. 'contrib' directory, and don't include complex makefile logic to
> detect distro and install the correct init script.  Manual installation
> is left up to the end user or the packager.
>
>>   I'd appreciate comments on the control script's correctness
>>> and the init scripts' utility.
>>
>> You do not need to pass --enable-x86-tsc as it is enabled by default
>> now.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> As for building the doc, xenomai sources contain generated
>> documentation, so if you do not enable any option, you will have some
>> documentation installed. If you still want to generate the doxygen
>> documentation, what is the problem with --enable-dox-doc?
>
> I'll find time to revisit doc generation and report back.

Hi John,

despite the long response time, I am still interested in merging support
for redhat packaging. I guess we coud add a "make rpm" rule which builds
the redhat package. However, looking at the spec file, it see that it
works by looking for the release tarball on gna download site, so, is it
possible to get the spec file to use the sources from the .. directory,
or failing that, use a tarball generated locally (we would then simply
have to get the rpm target depend on the dist target).

Regards.