[Xenomai] Xenomai on Atmel SAMA5D3 with a 3.14 kernel

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Fri Jun 6 20:13:41 CEST 2014

On 06/06/2014 08:03 PM, Alexandre Belloni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 06/06/2014 at 19:52:13 +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote :
>> On 06/06/2014 03:59 PM, Maxime Ripard wrote:
>>> Hi Gilles,
>>>
>>> I've been experimenting these days with the i-pipe 3.14 kernel,
>>> and current xenomai master branch on the Atmel SAMA5D3 SoC.
>>>
>>> There's a few issues there, the first one being that
>>> at91_ipipe_early_init crashes because of a NULL pointer
>>> dereference. This is due to the clk_get_rate call on the clock
>>> returned by clk_get(NULL, "mck").
>>>
>>> This clk_get call cannot since 3.14 because the clock code has
>>> been rewritten, and you can't use clkdev anymore.
>>
>> Well, it works on AT91. (RM9200 and SMA9263). What you are doing with
>> SAMA5D3 here is actually a port to a new platform.
>>

> Hum, I'm currently finishing to port both rm9200 and 9263 to the common
> clock framework. It is then totally possible that this will also break
> on those platforms...

We will cross that bridge when we come to it. Adapting to this kind of
changes is what means maintaining the I-pipe for an architecture. Doing
a one-shot port of the I-pipe patch is easy, maintaining it is the hard
part of the job, not hard as in tricky, but hard as in boringly Sisyphean.

> Side question: do you actually own/have access to an rm9200 based board?

Yes, I do, a Cogent CSB637 which was donated by Bill Gatliff. Every
Xenomai release is tested on it.