[Xenomai] Some Information About compilation Xenomai and RT Patches

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Fri Jun 20 11:00:29 CEST 2014

On 06/17/2014 05:00 PM, Jean Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I’m trying to compile kernel 3.8 with the last xenomai source.
>
> I want to know some precisions about preempt option.
>
> Is it useless to patch the kernel with with Xenomai and also with RT patch
> from kernel.org?

Combining both makes sense only if your use case involves response time
requirements when running regular linux activities, in addition to the
real-time duties offloaded to the Xenomai co-kernel. In most cases where
a dual kernel solution applies, there is no requirement for full
preemption (-rt) on the regular linux side though.

> Because With RT patch I can choose on menuconfig  Preemption Model 5 choices
> (No preempt, Voluntary and low latency , preemptible kernel or fully
> preemptivekernel)
>
> But if I patch only with xenomai I have just 3 choices of preemptive (No
> preempt, Voluntary and low latency)

Those choices affect the regular linux kernel behavior only, not
Xenomai. When the Xenomai co-kernel is present, there is no need for
additional preemption models, the linux kernel is inherently preemptible
by Xenomai activities at any time.

> If patch first with RT and after xenomai I have a lot of Hunk message
> (warning and error) but if  I Patch first with xenomai and after RT -> no
> problem
>

> So my question are they compatible together? Or perhaps choosing fully
> preemptive will turn my system unstable.

Combining both is possible, and such configuration is actually used by
some projects. However, a combo patch merging preempt-rt and the I-pipe
has to be specifically crafted for the target kernel.

> My goal is to catch Interruption with a small latency (50-10 µs) with a low
> processor charge

Since there is no one-fits-it-all solution, I would suggest to benchmark
each configuration separately for your use case, and see which one best
fits the bill, taking into account the pros and cons of each approach in
the long run for your project.