[Xenomai] delayed or discarded ethernet packets

Julio Cesar Aguilar Zerpa aguilar at goetting.de
Tue Dec 1 15:49:55 CET 2015

Hello there,

State:
I am using xenomai 2.6.1.
I installed the driver of a 3D camera which transmit its data via
ethernet (UDP).

Problem:
The transmission is being delayed (or packages are getting discarded) by
xenomai (probably, since the problem does not appear with
a normal linux kernel).

Solution(s):
     - There seems to be a way of "pipelining" the data from the camera
to a real time thread or
       to create a real time shared memory heap where the data is
delivered by the camera (as a 'producer') and gotten by a 'consumer'.
     - What about increasing the priority of the ethernet interface to
that of a real time IO thread (or similar)?

Question(s):
     - Are these two options even correct?  Are there other alternatives?
       Could you provide some example code of  the 'producer' and
'consumer'?
       Do I need to write my own camera driver and include this
'pipelining' or 'heap'?
     - Is there a way to increase the priority of an ethernet interface
in xenomai?

Thank you and best regards,
Julio Aguilar

Mit freundlichen Grüßen