[Xenomai] "RT throttling" issue

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Tue Dec 1 19:11:55 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 02:09:45PM +0100, JK.Behnke at web.de wrote:
>    Hello Gilles,
>
>    > in the meanwhile I added rt_timer_tsc as a second alternative to
>    measure
>    > elapsed time. rt_timer_tsc returns values that are a somewhat greater
>    > than expected (around 39 ms instead of expected 20 ms), but still
>    > reasonable.
>    >
>    > > On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 11:32:57AM +0100, JK.Behnke at web.de wrote:
>    > >> Hello,
>    > >>
>    > >> in my xenomai 2.6.3 application I sporadically experience very
>    long execution times of
>    > >> a task that switches back and forth between secondary and primary
>    mode.
>    > >>
>    > >> I added the following code to measure elapsed and cpu time
>    > >> //------------- start code snippet ---------------
>    > >> struct rusage rsgT1;
>    > >> struct rusage rsgT2;
>    > >> struct timeval tvT1;
>    > >> struct timeval tvT2;
>    > >> gettimeofday(&tvT1, NULL);
>    > >
>    > > Do you observe the same problem with Xenomai 2.6 git head, if you
>    > > use clock_gettime(CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME) instead of gettimeofday, at
>    > > least for threads running in primary mode ?
>    I am now running xenomai 2.6.4 git head.
>    The application now uses the posix wrappers as described in the
>    documentation "Porting a Linux application to Xenomai dual kernel"
>    I replaced the gettimeofday() calls by
>    clock_gettime(CLOCK_HOST_REALTIME).
>    The getrusage() calls have been removed.
>
>    Both clock_gettime and rt_timer_tsc return reasonable values.
>    However, once I observed a loop execution time of 14000 ms instead of
>    typical 30 ms.

If a "loop", runs 30ms in primary mode then you are starving Linux
from its timer interrupts. You should try to let linux at least
handle its interrupt every 10ms if running with HZ==100 or every
millisecond if running with HZ==1000.

>    This means that the task was blocked for about 14 seconds.
>    As I still experience "RT throttling" messages of the Linux kernel,
>    I guess that some lengthy operation (file access, memory
>    allocation,...)

No. "RT throttling" means that a task run by the Linux scheduler
with scheduling policy SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR is using more than 95%
of the cpu over a period of one second. This is bad, this is
probably a kind of infinite loop. gettimeofday called from primary
mode is known to cause such an issue (when xenomai watchdog has
detected the infinite loop in primary mode and kicked the task to
secondary mode), but if you have removed all calls to gettimeofday,
then the issue is elsewhere.

>    of some other task in my application produces the "RT throttling".
>    As a side effect the task gets blocked by the Linux scheduler while
>    in secondary mode. As mentioned earlier, the task in question switches
>    back and forth between secondary and primary mode.
>
>    Is it dangerous to use memory allocation and file access functions
>    inside a Linux task running under policy SCHED_FIFO, even though
>    they are not really time critical?

File access cause the function to wait. Not to use cpu. Memory
allocation should not be a problem either. Though due to the way
Linux handle its memory (all unused memory is used as disk cache), a
memory allocation may actually have to wait for a disk access to
finish, so the worst case would make your task not real-time at all.

>    Could some other Linux process block these kind of tasks for such
>    a long time (14 sec) or even longer?

Using the I-pipe tracer, you may be able to understand what happens.

https://click-hack.org