[Xenomai] Question about xnmalloc and xnheap_alloc

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Sat Dec 5 15:45:07 CET 2015

On Sat, Dec 05, 2015 at 05:11:02PM +0800, ニャン星人 wrote:
> Hi, I had read the source code of xenomai3.X. And I am curious
> about the difference between xnmalloc and xnheap_alloc.

The answer is in xnmalloc definition:
#define xnmalloc(size)     xnheap_alloc(&cobalt_heap, size)

> When using this two api, where the memory these api apply from.

The memory has been reserved prior to calling these functions, and
an "xnheap" object initialized with the xnheap_init call.

> What do the variable cobalt_heap use for?

cobalt_heap is the "global heap" object. You can use memory from
this heap object with xnmalloc, or use memory from another heap
object (initialized with xnheap_init) with xnheap_alloc.

>     How can I achieve shared memory function by use these two api
>     in kernel between xenomai and linux?

Any memory obtained with Linux memory allocation function is shared
between Xenomai and Linux. The xnheap objects are just a way to
pre-allocate some memory and allow a kind of dynamic allocation for
real-time services without resorting to Linux services. But the
memory you pass to an xnheap object (and in particular the
cobalt_heap object memory) is generally some Linux memory that has
been allocated in advance.

https://click-hack.org