[Xenomai] userspace absolute timer value

Steven Seeger steven.seeger at nasa.gov
Wed Dec 23 19:05:00 CET 2015

All,

The issue that I had with userspace absolute time to start a timer (what
latency test does) was due to a quirk on my board where the powerpc timebase
was coming up as 0xdXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX which was causing the 32-bit userland to
lose precision when getting the monotonic clock value. The latency test gets
the time, adds a millisecond, and uses this time to start the process. However
on my machine the time was way off due to the loss of precision. (there were
more than 2^32 seconds, but time_t is only 32-bit) On my board adding some
code to set the timebase to 0 in head_44x.S and that cleared up all the
issues. Everything is working for me now. This appears to be a problem with
how cobalt deals with 64-bit ns counters and 32-bit userspace clocks, however
I could be missing something.

Steven