[Xenomai] Issue while porting ipipe to kernel > 4.5 (clockevents API change)

Thierry Bultel thierry.bultel at basystemes.fr
Thu Apr 14 14:55:06 CEST 2016

Le 12/04/2016 15:06, Thierry Bultel a écrit :

> Le 11/04/2016 17:05, Philippe Gerum a écrit :
>> On 04/11/2016 11:45 AM, Thierry Bultel wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> while porting ipipe to 4.5, I am facing the following issue:
>>>
>>> clockchips.h has changed, and the set_mode function pointer has been
>>> replaced by
>>>
>>>      int            (*set_state_periodic)(struct clock_event_device *);
>>>      int            (*set_state_oneshot)(struct clock_event_device *);
>>>      int            (*set_state_oneshot_stopped)(struct
>>> clock_event_device *);
>>>      int            (*set_state_shutdown)(struct clock_event_device *);
>>>
>>> Moreover, CLOCK_EVT_MODE_XXX have been renamed to :
>>>
>>> enum clock_event_state {
>>>      CLOCK_EVT_STATE_DETACHED,
>>>      CLOCK_EVT_STATE_SHUTDOWN,
>>>      CLOCK_EVT_STATE_PERIODIC,
>>>      CLOCK_EVT_STATE_ONESHOT,
>>>      CLOCK_EVT_STATE_ONESHOT_STOPPED,
>>> };
>>>
>>> The impact therefore goes further than ipipe , since xenomai uses a
>>> single pointer
>>> for performing emulation.
>>>
>>> I am just wondering what is the best way to deal with this, without
>>> impacting to much code
>>> Is it best to add a compatibility wrapper (moreover, the set_state_xxx
>>> functions are only used in clockevents.c), and some extra #defines
>>> or to spread the changes up to xenomai code ?
>>>
>> I would confine the changes to the pipeline, I don't see any reason for
>> spreading those changes to Xenomai only for supporting the
>> ONESHOT_STOPPED mode, which might be usable as a hint, but may be
>> ignored by Xenomai as well, especially by legacy Xenomai 2.x releases.
>>
>> You could redirect the new state handlers to a set of internal wrapper
>> routines in the pipeline, which would translate the calls to the
>> Xenomai's current emulation handlers.
>>

> Thanks Philippe,
>
> At this step, I have something that compiles without CONFIG_XENOMAI
> (there is a little work to do in xenomai,
> since some other kernel APIs changed too, like cpu masks, and struct
> msghdr ... )
>
> Before going to that, I would like to get rid of this:
>
> The kernel boots fine with CONFIG_IPIPE disabled.
>
> With CONFIG_IPIPE and !CONFIG_SMP, the kernel boots fine up to user land.
> With CONFIG_IPIPE and  CONFIG_SMP, the kernel hangs at random
> positions during initcalls.
> I had to enable CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK to notice it, because nothing came
> on the console else.
>
> "printk-bisecting" makes the hang position change, making impossible
> to localize the hang position this way.
>
> I have CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK enabled but that does not help much. I
> payed much attention to spinlock.h without noticing
> anything wrong.
>
> What can I do to investigate this ?
>
> I forgot to say that the target CPU is an IMX6Q
>
> Thanks
> Thierry

Hi,

I managed to narrow down the issue.

tick_sched_timer() is never called, because the softirq timer code is not executed.. thus calls like 'msleep' never return.

The reason is that in timekeeping_get_delta(), the "now" is always the same,

that is to say, that tkr->read (which is __ipipe_tsc_get) always report the same value.

I have CONFIG_IPIPE_ARM_KUSER_TSC enabled (by default)
What can be wrong ?

(The base I started with is ipipe-core-4.1.18-arm-4.patch)

Thanks
Thierry