[Xenomai] i-pipe patched 4.1.18 fails to boot on BeagleBoard-x15 (AM5728 processor)

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Apr 14 22:23:18 CEST 2016

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 04:09:28PM -0400, Charles Kiorpes wrote:
> I am using am57xx-beagle-x15.dts/dtb, as included in the mainline 4.1.18
> source (not the ti-linux-kernel, just linux-stable).

Oh.  I hadn't noticed that they had it sufficiently mainlined by now.
That's good.

> The board I am using reports itself to u-boot as the TI AM572x GP EVM,
> which I understood to simply be a change in the eeprom, and should be
> compatible with the beagle-x15 device tree (EVM device tree merely adds the
> expansion board functionality, which I don't need).

That sounds reasonable.

> I noticed the discrepancy with the naming as well.  I did see the correct
> printout for "Machine model: TI AM5728 BeagleBoard-X15", but all of the
> failure printouts show "Hardware name: Generic DRA74X (Flattened Device
> Tree)".

Oh that's odd.  I wonder why that happens.

Hmm, seems that any AM572x will match:
DT_MACHINE_START(DRA74X_DT, "Generic DRA74X (Flattened Device Tree)")
while AM571x will match:
DT_MACHINE_START(DRA72X_DT, "Generic DRA72X (Flattened Device Tree)")

That's in arch/arm/mach-omap2/board-generic.c

So doesn't mean anything much and simply means the dtb used contained
the right compat string to startup as the right CPU type.

> I hope that the case is not that an entire interrupt controller's code
> needs to be made ipipe-ready, because that is pretty far out of my league.
> However, I will look further into the tps659038.
>
> I removed the palmas driver in stages (piece by piece across several kernel
> builds and test boots), and still wound up with a null dereference, even
> when the driver was completely removed from the kernel config.
>
> For your successful Xenomai 2.6.4 run on the 3.14 kernel, were you using
> the ti-linux-kernel, or mainline?  I would be perfectly content to test on
> Xenomai 2.6.4 for the short term, so it would be great to just get a kernel
> running, even with limited peripheral support.

Using ti-linux-kernel ti-linux-3.14.y branch.

--
Len Sorensen