[Xenomai] rt task & stack overflow

Gilles Chanteperdrix gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org
Tue Apr 19 21:10:52 CEST 2016

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 12:21:48AM +0200, Johann Obermayr wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is there a way to handle a stack overflow with a xenomai  rt_task ?
>
> this example work for a standard linux

This example does not handle stack overflows. It handles the SIGSEGV
signal, which may happen in case of stack overflow or for many other
reasons. In order to handle properly a stack overflow, you would
have to:
- use the SA_SIGINFO flag and setup an sa_sigaction handler instead
of sa_handler with additional arguments
- in the handler, use the additional arguments to extract the fault
address and architecture specific stack pointer and check that the
fault address is "near" the stack pointer (and in fact it may not be
at all)
- or walk /proc/self/maps to find the mapping where the fault
address is and check if it is "near" a thread stack.
- or check that the fault program counter is an operation involving
a store or read relative to the stack pointer.

But I do not think there is a reliable way to detect stack
overflows. It is even possible to overflow the stack so much that
the code appears to work by writing to another thread stack (if the
overflow length is larger than the glibc guard size).

> #define _XOPEN_SOURCE 700
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <signal.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> void handler(int sig)
> {
>      printf("stack overflow: %d\n", sig);
>      _exit(1);
> }

Also, using printf in a signal handler is bad. printf is not async
signal safe.

So in fact no, this code is complete rubbish, and it can not be said
that it works.

Other than that there should be no reason for this code to be worse
with Xenomai than it is with Linux.

https://click-hack.org