[Xenomai] Communication between RT-kernel to non-RT kernel

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 13:45:37 CEST 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Gilles Chanteperdrix
<gilles.chanteperdrix at xenomai.org> wrote:
> [...]
>> > https://xenomai.org/api-reference/
>> >

>> Thank you for the feedback,
>> I did eventually see that there is good introduction documentation for
>> this "A tour of the native API ".
>> 1. In this document I see that there are others mechanism which can be used :
>> message Queues and shared memory.
>
> Well, you misread, message queues are for communications between two
> xenomai tasks (as opposed to communications between a xenomai task
> and a Linux task), and shared memories are for sharing memories
> between different processes, or between kernel and user-space (a use
> that is no longer possible in 3.x, as having application code
> running in kernel space has always been a bad design anyway). Linux
> and Xenomai tasks can be threads running in the same address-space
> (process), so no particular mechanism is needed to shared memory
> between them. The problem, however, is protecting this data with a
> mutual exclusion device working both for Xenomai and Linux tasks:
> this was never implemented, so, sharing memory between Xenomai and
> Linux tasks can only work for lockless access.
>
>> 2. Other thing I've noticed is that it seems that in xenomai 3.x pdf
>> folder this document is missing. Is the native api not relevant with
>> xenomai 3.x anymore ?
>
> The native API changed name in Xenomai 3, it is now called alchemy,
> it still exists. However, we have almost abandoned the PDF documents
> generation toolchain in Xenomai 3, and moved most of the content to
> the web site, which is easier to maintain, and especially can be
> updated more rapidly.
>
>> 3. We do a kind of simple "Linux RT POC project", in order to
>> understand how xenomai is RT (so that we can later choose between
>> vxWorks or Linux according to the results),
>> all we need to do is something simple as following:
>>   3.1 application running on Zynq will get periodic interrupt from fpga.
>>   3.2 on receiving interrupt it shall do some known mathematic
>> calculation and continue to wait for next interrupt
>>   3.3 we need to measure the time of received interrupt in application
>> and to measure jitter if exist.
>>   3.4 we also need to write simple standard Linux application which
>> shall read the statistics from the RT application.
>
> Ok, seeing how a beginner you are with Xenomai, this approach has
> many pitfalls, which may result in getting the wrong results for
> Xenomai. So, if you want to do a benchmark I suggest:
> - either to use the "latency" tool provided by the Xenomai project,
> which has been polished over a long time and is expected not to have
> such issues, following for instance the procedure outlined on this
> page:
> https://xenomai.org/2014/07/benchmarking-with-xeno-test/
> - or read Xenomai documentation more carefully, in order to
> understand better what using a co-kernel implies (and by the way,
> note that Xenomai 3 is also able to use Linux native preemption
> patch, so it may make sense to benchmark this alternative too),

We will have to do this kind of benchmarking because it is a
requirements for this issue.
I will need to see how to do it correct, even though it is not the
best way to measure latency.

>> 4. Can rtdm_clock_read  be used for reading time of interrupt ?
>
> Yes.
>
>> 5. If a userspace wait for interrupt on rt_intr_wait, which is
>> synchronizaed on clock, is it better to CONFIG_HZ a larger number in
>> order to get smaller lateny ?
>
> CONFIG_HZ has meaning only for Linux, not for Xenomai. This question
> shows that you have not really understood how Xenomai co-kernel
> works (and not very much how Linux timing sub-system works either),

My misunderstanding about this stem from the API tour pdf stating:
"Xenomai tasks in user­space can still explicitely wait for the next
interrupt occurrence instead, by calling the rt_intr_wait() service.
In other words, asynchronous handler execution is replaced by a
synchronous interrupt server in user­space."
I understood synchronous here as dependent in Linux tick. Isn't that
not what is meant by "synchronous" in the above context ?

> and I urge you to read more documentation.

Right,
I did found I missed a lot of precious documentation only after posing
this question.

Thank you a lot for the time,
Ran