[Xenomai] memory allocation performance in kernel ipipe

Stéphane Ancelot sancelot at numalliance.com
Fri Dec 9 16:28:29 CET 2016

Le 08/12/2016 à 08:42, Henning Schild a écrit :
> Am Thu, 8 Dec 2016 08:28:02 +0100
> schrieb Stéphane Ancelot <sancelot at numalliance.com>:

>>> Is there any question?
>>>
>> Euhhh ... yes,  it sounds this problem comes from ipipe
>> modifications, But I have not managed to find the reason ???
>> Is it a bug , a regression , a kernel routine where the problem is
>> amplified once the patch is applied ?
>>
>> I remember I have not had this problem with previous kernel releases
>> (3.16.x) . I will check again with previous configurations, in order
>> to find a way of comparison.
> You can also try 4.1. And more information could be useful. Which
> version of xenomai are you using? Is your application using xenomai?
> Which architecture are you on?

I checked following things :

I have problem  with any kernel on this architecture patched with xenomai.

I tried kernel 3.16.7,3.18.20 and 4.1.18.
this happens in 32 bit or 64 bit, both SMP kernel

I made 2 traces to open with kernelshark (please advice if it is a
problem). you have to filter task : chg_cst

this one is when the problem is happening using the computer display.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1JEDrsMi1E1YkZja1dsWTFRcDQ

and this one is when it runs fine through a ssh -X session.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1JEDrsMi1E1WUVyOUFEbFdzWkk

comparing both tasks  diagram , I can sea that when it does not work,
the task is interrupted for a long time.
in other case, no interruption in it's activity diagram.

Regards,
S.Ancelot