[Xenomai] __COBALT_SYSCALL_BIT

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Wed Dec 21 16:52:51 CET 2016

On 12/20/2016 01:36 PM, Julien Stephan wrote:
> I'm porting Xenomai on the MPPA processor of Kalray. The problem is that
> their Linux port is quite new and is not yet publicly available ...

This company presented an ongoing effort to port Linux to their MPPA
processor back in October 2013. This hardly qualifies as a "new" effort:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/Rybczynska_Going_Linux_on_Massive_Multicore.pdf

Such Linux code not being publicly available after three years may be
interpreted as an obvious unwillingness to ever disclose it.

Therefore, the whole point of any technical discussion about your
project on this public list would be about asking people to help your
company delivering a development task to a customer, for your company's
and its customer's exclusive advantage, but strictly no upside for the
Xenomai user base.

As a matter of fact, nothing that could be discussed there regarding
your project would be beneficial for the Xenomai users and contributors
(Linux likewise), since none of them may ever have access to the
resulting work, or learn from it for their own present or future
projects. What might be the incentive for these people to help you with
such port then, why would they care?

I do understand that, as an engineer, you merely inherited the situation
and did not create it, taking the flak for those who did. That is
unfortunate, and I want to make clear that this is nothing personal.
However, despite Xmas time approaching, I don't believe in Santa: such
situation can't bring anything useful to the Xenomai project, but only
chasing wild gooses about a secretive processor running undisclosed code.

I'd be glad to be proven wrong though, but until this is demonstrated,
I'll stay away from this discussion.