[Xenomai] New year, new roles

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Mon Dec 18 14:48:08 CET 2017

On 2017-12-17 20:16, Philippe Gerum wrote:

> Sixteen years after Gilles and I founded the Xenomai project, time has
> come for me to hand over the leadership to a contributor recognized for
> his skills, bringing fresh ideas, and a creative roadmap.
>
> Jan Kiszka has agreed to take over the Xenomai leadership gradually from
> me. He will be ramping up his involvement in project steering and
> development head gatekeeping during a transition period starting today.
> This period will end by September 2018 at the latest.
>
> I will keep on maintaining the I-pipe for the ARM architecture, helping
> in reviewing changes to the Xenomai code base too. Generally speaking,
> I'll do my best to transfer knowledge about the Xenomai implementation
> to people or organizations willing to contribute to the project.
>
> Steven Seeger has volunteered to maintain the I-pipe support for the
> ppc32 architecture, and I'll be working with him to ensure a smooth
> transition here too.
>
> Jan's team at Siemens is ramping up their current involvement in the
> I-pipe x86 port.
>
> PS: The project is still looking for someone who would be willing to
> maintain the I-pipe arm64 port in the long run.
>
> Thanks,

First of all, a big thank you, Philippe, for investing so much of your
time and energy into the project over the past 16 years! Not many folks
probably realized how much that was (and still is) and how much they
profit(ed) from this.

When you asked me to take over, I felt honored but also highly
challenged to lead the project in this tricky phase. I'll try my best.

My goal is clearly not to replace you (which would be impossible
anyway), but to make us, the community, a bigger and more active family.
We need more contributions and more commitment to keep the project
rolling. So I'll specifically focus on reshaping our scope, clarifying
what we want and can deliver in high quality also in the future - and
who can support the associated efforts.

As you said, we want to make the transition as smooth as possible. So I
also do not want to jump in directly but rather start with small steps.
I wasn't that active in the community anymore as some years ago, and I'm
lacking recent overview over corners that we are not in touch with in
our internal projects, like archs != x86 or Mercury. That needs to change.

As one of the first community-building steps, we are considering to have
a meet-up around FOSDEM. Henning will follow-up on this soon. I'm also
planning for some talk or BoF at ELC in Portland next year (provided I
get a slot), to spread plans and ideas and to have further face-to-face
discussions.

Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE