[Xenomai] Cobalt core and Yocto

Steve Pavao stevep at korgrd.com
Tue Dec 19 22:00:02 CET 2017

Hi Jan,

> On Dec 19, 2017, at 2:24 PM, Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka at siemens.com> wrote:
>
> On 2017-12-19 19:49, Steve Pavao wrote:
>> Hi Lowell,
>>
>> Thanks for that tip.  That’s what I was thinking I might need to do.
>>
>> I guess the solution in Yocto terms is to rework my I-PIPE patch recipe to not directly apply the I-PIPE patch, but rather to call prepare-kernel.sh and allow it to apply the patch, plus do the other things it needs to do.  I guess that should happen in a do_configure() {} block.
>
> Actually, I would move the kernel patching out of the xenomai recipe and
> rather have one recipe for the userspace packages and a
> xenomai-kernel.inc which appends the kernel preparation task with the
> prepare-kernel.sh invocation. It would also bring in (once again) the
> xenomai sources so that its kernel elements get pulled into the kernel
> build. In your kernel recipe, you would simply include that file.
>
> This way, the kernel could come from various sources, including
> git.xenomai.org/ipipe.git, and just needs to have the I-pipe patch
> already applied, either in it git source or by adding a corresponding
> patch to the custom kernel recipe.
>
> This seems similar to how ELDK modeled this:
> http://git.denx.de/?p=eldk.git;a=tree;f=meta-eldk/recipes-kernel/xenomai;h=bf965c6d2fa5132413b498161c90f337be8fb174;hb=refs/heads/5.8-eldk <http://git.denx.de/?p=eldk.git;a=tree;f=meta-eldk/recipes-kernel/xenomai;h=bf965c6d2fa5132413b498161c90f337be8fb174;hb=refs/heads/5.8-eldk>

Thanks for your advice, Jan.  I was hoping to keep things as simple as possible, though.  The ELDK example has a highly-customized bb recipe.

Could I achieve my ends If I use my initial idea, which is to call the prepare-kernel.sh from a do_configure block, rather than directly applying the I-PIPE patch?  It seems like it won’t succeed, based on what you have said, perhaps because the recipe that calls prepare-kernel.sh is going to need to be more complex than simply calling that script.  (You mentioned about needing to pull in the xenomai sources once again).

I think I need to hand this task off to a colleague who has some more Linux internals experience.

> That is outdated now, unfortunately. Do you plan to publish your layer
> afterwards? I suppose some people would be happy about a meta-xenomai
> with support for Xenomai 3.

I’d have to check with my organization.  Personally, I’d like to see anyone publish one, including us.  Anything that allows folks to start using Xenomai 3 more easily from within their highly-customized Poky environments would be helpful.

- Steve Pavao
Korg R&D