[Xenomai] Switching between cobalt & mercury

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Sun Feb 5 15:11:51 CET 2017

On 02/05/2017 02:49 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to evaluate  mercury and cobalt kernels from same version
> of kernel source code.
> I am using the documentation in
> https://xenomai.org/installing-xenomai-3-x/
> I am trying to see how simply it is to switch between the cores and
> test each of them.
> (without repeating the steps for each core using duplicated source folder)
>

> 1. I have applied the prepare-kernel script, can I now just add RT
> PREEMPT in order to use mercury kernel , or must I also disable all
> Xenomai configuration and build again ? Is it possible to use kernel
> which support both RT PRREMPT and Xenomai ?

It is possible and has been done many times for custom kernel trees, but
then you would need an I-pipe patch merged with the RT-preempt patch for
the same target kernel. If you don't have such combo patch, then you
will most likely have to apply the RT-preempt patch to a fresh kernel
tree, without any I-pipe bits in, otherwise conflicts may appear at
source level.

> 2. I also assume that I will also need to install the correct build of
> the Xenomai library (there is a build for mercury and another one for
> cobalt).

Correct.