[Xenomai] Switching between cobalt & mercury

Ran Shalit ranshalit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:23:14 CET 2017

On Sun, Feb 5, 2017 at 4:11 PM, Philippe Gerum <rpm at xenomai.org> wrote:
> On 02/05/2017 02:49 PM, Ran Shalit wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to evaluate  mercury and cobalt kernels from same version
>> of kernel source code.
>> I am using the documentation in
>> https://xenomai.org/installing-xenomai-3-x/
>> I am trying to see how simply it is to switch between the cores and
>> test each of them.
>> (without repeating the steps for each core using duplicated source folder)
>>

>> 1. I have applied the prepare-kernel script, can I now just add RT
>> PREEMPT in order to use mercury kernel , or must I also disable all
>> Xenomai configuration and build again ? Is it possible to use kernel
>> which support both RT PRREMPT and Xenomai ?
>>

> It is possible and has been done many times for custom kernel trees, but
> then you would need an I-pipe patch merged with the RT-preempt patch for
> the same target kernel. If you don't have such combo patch, then you
> will most likely have to apply the RT-preempt patch to a fresh kernel
> tree, without any I-pipe bits in, otherwise conflicts may appear at
> source level.

I meant that I am using released version (Xenomai 3.3) which should be
applied to kernel 4.1.18.
The patch was already applied without errors.
What I try is to switch from cobalt to mercury.
As I understand, I will need to disable xenomai and enable RT PREEMPT
(because I better not enable both, I assume).

Best Regards,
Ran