[Xenomai] Understanding Domain Switching

AG M agm6274 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 18:25:03 CET 2017

Thanks Philippe.

I commented out all the pthread stuff and just ran a while loop
without any Linux system calls. I still see that MSW immediately
become 1 as soon as I start the program. It looks like the program is
immediately going to the secondary domain as soon as I run it (also I
wonder why I dont get the SIGXCPU signal now that I know its doing a
domain switch). My program at this point is a simple while loop.
Here's my Makefile

###### CONFIGURATION ######

### List of applications to be build
APPLICATIONS = main_posix

### Note: to override the search path for the xeno-config script, use
"make XENO=..."

### List of modules to be build
MODULES = main_posix

### Note: to override the kernel source path, use "make KSRC=..."

all::

satch: main_posix.c

###### USER SPACE BUILD (no change required normally) ######
ifeq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)
ifneq ($(APPLICATIONS),)

### Default Xenomai installation path
XENO ?= /usr/xenomai

XENOCONFIG=$(shell PATH=$(XENO):$(XENO)/bin:$(PATH) which xeno-config
2>/dev/null)

### Sanity check
ifeq ($(XENOCONFIG),)
all::
@echo ">>> Invoke make like this: \"make XENO=/path/to/xeno-config\" <<<"
@echo
endif

CC=$(shell $(XENOCONFIG) --cc)

CFLAGS=-DCONSUMER $(shell $(XENOCONFIG) --skin=posix --cflags) $(APP_CFLAGS)

LDFLAGS=$(shell $(XENOCONFIG) --skin=posix --ldflags) $(APP_LDFLAGS)

# This includes the library path of given Xenomai into the binary to make live
# easier for beginners if Xenomai's libs are not in any default search path.
LDFLAGS+=-Xlinker -rpath -Xlinker $(shell $(XENOCONFIG) --libdir)

all:: $(APPLICATIONS)

clean::
$(RM) $(APPLICATIONS) *.o

endif
endif

clean::
$(RM) $(CLEANMOD) *.o *.ko *.mod.c Module*.symvers Module.markers modules.order
$(RM) -R .tmp*
$(RM) .runinfo

My ultimate goal is to port my Linux based app to Xenomai. The
application has a lot of communication modules (WiFi, Ethernet, USB
etc. ) and some computing. I went through some of the old mailing
lists and found the following
1. Using RTDM based model does not necessarily guarantee hard
deadlines for communication/disk related activities. Keeping that in
mind, if I do all the communication and disk related activities with
Linux and do the computing/prcoessing (or something which does not
require Linux system call) with Xenomai, what would be the best way
for these to exchange information? For ex: I want to linux to fetch
data from TCP socket and Xenomai thread to process that data.
2.When it executing a non-rt service, it switches to the secondary
domain and then comes back to primary if it is rt-related. How can I
detect this secondary--> primary switch?

Thanks for your help!