[Xenomai] RTDM driver init: interrupts and context objects

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Fri Feb 24 10:03:14 CET 2017

On 02/24/2017 01:27 AM, andrija at stupar.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Xenomai 2.6.3 and I'm porting a Linux driver for an Acromag
> PCI DAQ board to RTDM.
>
> Since RTDM in Xenomai 2.6.3 does not support minor device numbers, and
> there are possibly multiple PCI boards which must be accessed by this
> driver, I am following the example given for the 16550 UART driver in
> the Xenomai 2.6.3 source repository. There, we have a rtdm_device
> template with a blank name and inside the init_module() function the
> driver searches for multiple devices, and then assigns them names and
> registers each of them separately (i.e. rtserial0, rtserial1, rtserial2,
> etc.) so that each can be accessed as a separate device via the RTDM
> device table. This driver maintains a static array of rtdm_device,
> keeping there an instance of each detected device. So far so good. I am
> following the same approach in my driver.
>
> However, I see some differences with which I am stuck.
>
> The driver I am porting to RTDM scans for PCI devices in the
> init_module() method, and then, for each device found, performs some
> set-up stuff including - this is the most important thing - setting up
> an IRQ line.
>
> The RTDM UART driver I am using as an example does not do this - it
> performs the IRQ line request (via rtdm_irq_request) in the open()
> method, NOT in the init_module() method. Is there any particular reason
> for this? Would it be incorrect to call rtdm_irq_request for each device
> in init_module() instead of in open(...)?

No issue with that. Any call site from a regular kernel context (i.e.
not Xenomai's primary/rt mode) will do.

> In order to call rtdm_irq_request, I require the irq handle, which is a
> field of the driver-specific context structure (e.g. in the UART driver
> case, rt_16550_context). I also have such a struct which stores some
> information about my device. Notwithstanding the IRQ setup, some of the
> information I would like to store in my context struct is arrived at
> during the operations in init_module(). However, I cannot see how to
> pass a context struct which I would create in init_module() properly
> when registering a device...? So far, it seems that any data that I
> obtain during init_module() I would have to save in e.g. static arrays,
> and then copy that into the context struct in open(...) where I can
> access the context struct for that particular device. Or do I have
> something wrong?

A context in the usual sense applies to a particular _connection_ to a
device, i.e. per-fd, not to the device itself. In that sense, the open()
handler setting up a connection may refer to some global data for
retrieving the setup information about the particular device instance
the connection refers to. Since init_module() only knows about device
instances, you need some proxy data structure to expose the device
information to the open() handler.