[Xenomai] UART RT-Driver for BBB

Steve B sbattazzo at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 02:08:29 CET 2017

I was able to get this to work, but it was a little bit of a hassle. The
16550A driver as it stands doesn't quite work because the AM335x CPU has
some registers that are not exactly like the standard 16550A.. So a few
lines of code needed to be modified, and I believe there was an issue with
word size when doing register reads/writes that also needed to be addressed.

Lastly, to actually load the driver requires some modification to your
device tree overlays.
I wasn't quite able to get the device tree to bind the final driver in a
clean way like I wanted, so I did a very ugly hack and made a single
overlay to cover two UARTs I was going to use (one with the standard driver
and one RTDM), and made a sacrificial partial entry in the name of a
different UART which is unused in my application. This is important because
it's the mechanism the OS uses to enable power and clocks to the various
peripherals, as well as pinmux. So I set up the overlay somehow to turn the
desired UART on and enable clocks and the correct pinmux settings, and then
did an insmod on the compiled driver to get it running.
It is probably also possible to hack the peripheral/clock/pinmux portion in
to application space with mem mapped I/O, which is also in the ugly hack
department.

I haven't had time to bother with a clean solution.. something "working"
was kind of good enough at the time.