[Xenomai] xenomai 2 LDFLAGS wrappers, posix only

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Thu Jan 12 18:54:56 CET 2017

On 01/12/2017 06:32 PM, Henning Schild wrote:
> Am Wed, 11 Jan 2017 15:47:59 +0100
> schrieb Henning Schild <henning.schild at siemens.com>:
>
>> Am Wed, 11 Jan 2017 12:03:23 +0100
>> schrieb Philippe Gerum <rpm at xenomai.org>:

>>> --posix is supposed to be passed only when a wrapping is expected.
>>> Omitting it allows to build apps over non-POSIX Xenomai APIs, while
>>> assuming that any POSIX call also present in the code can only be
>>> obtained from the glibc.
>>
>> Ok i see. Just adding the --posix all the time would change the
>> implementation of all the pthread_* stuff where the developer might
>> just want to use non-rt pthreads.
>>
>> There seem to be two classes of wrappers. Those that just assert_nrt()
>> and do not change the implementation of the function to be called. And
>> the other class actually replaces the original implementation.
>>
>> The ones that just insert the assert_nrt() are relevant for all skins
>> and should be applied there, while at the moment they are only used
>> for posix/rtdm.
>>
>> For xenomai3 that is malloc and free (./lib/cobalt/assert_context.c),
>> for xenomai2 it is those two plus gettimeofday
>> (src/skins/common/assert_context.c). These should be wrapped in any
>> skin, not just posix.

Is this requirement to wrap gettimeofday() on v2 a LART for preventing
deadlocks with the read_seqcount construct in kernel space?

>> The three __cxa_guard wrappers would also be of the "insert assertion"
>> type and should therefore go into all skins.
>
> Do you agree with the observation? Should the assert_nrt guys be
> applied on all skins? Should we add the stdc++ __cxa_guard functions as
> such wrappers?

I agree on the purpose, but __cxa_guard may depend on the C++ ABI. How
are you going to deal with this?

> I am working on patches to extract the assert_nrt wrappers out of
> posix.wrappers and put them into common.wrappers. The last patch of the
> series would add the stdc++ guys to the common wrappers.
>
> The file posix.wrappers is mentioned in configure.in and
> skins/posix/Makefile.(in|am). And a new file will probably have to go
> there as well. So this seemingly little change might produce a rather
> big changeset including autotool changes.
>
> Maybe i should start with the xenomai3 version of it to have a better
> basis for a discussion?

2.6 maintenance is definitely closed upstream, so I would base the
discussion on v3 exclusively.