[Xenomai] RTDM driver init: interrupts and context objects

andrija at stupar.com andrija at stupar.com
Fri Mar 3 05:10:00 CET 2017

Hi Philippe,

Thank you very much for your earlier response. I have figured that part
of the driver out and opening and requesting an interrupt line works
well. Also, upon an interrupt, an interrupt service routine is executed
as expected. However I have one remaining problem I hope you could help
me out with. For interrupt-driven A/D conversion, the hardware I am
using works like this: 1) I write to a register to initiate
interrupt-driven A/D conversion 2) the write call then goes to sleep
until data is ready 3) an interrupt handler awakens the write call 4)
the write call returns and 5) the code which made the write call now
knows that it should read data from an input register.

In the original driver, the code doing steps 1), 2) and 4) looks like
this:

wqc = 0;       /* indicate waiting */
writew( (int)ldata, (void *)(*adata) );
wait_event_interruptible(ain_queue, wqc);
wqc = 2;       /* indicate complete */
.... return (...) ;

Since interrupts in RTDM work slightly differently and there is no wait
queue in the RTDM/Xenomai version I am using, I ported the above code to
RTDM like this:

writew( (int)ldata, (void *)(*adata) );
if (!my_context->data_flag) {
	 my_context->wait_flag = TRUE; /* indicate waiting */
          if (rtdm_event_wait(&my_context->apc8620_wait)) { /* wait */
                        my_context->wait_flag = FALSE;
                        return ( -ERESTARTSYS );
          }
}
/* indicate complete */
my_context->data_flag = FALSE;
my_context->wait_flag = FALSE;
.... return (...) ;

In the original driver, step 3) is the in the interrupt handler function
and looks like this:

if( wqc == 0)        /* waiting for a blocked start convert AND an
interrupt from the input board */
{
      wqc = 1;               /* when received, change the condition to
true... */
       wake_up_interruptible(&ain_queue);	 /* ... and wake the blocked
write */
}

My port of the above to RTDM is:

if (my_context->wait_flag && !(my_context->data_flag)) {
       	 my_context->data_flag = TRUE;
          my_context->wait_flag = FALSE;
        	 rtdm_event_signal(&my_context->apc8620_wait);
}
return( RTDM_IRQ_HANDLED);

My understanding is that the above two pairs of code snippets (vanilla
Linux and RTDM) do the same thing, functionally. However they do not.
The interrupt driven A/D conversion is defined by a timer which can be
set to some range of values (e.g. 1 second). However it seems that the
board generates interrupts for other reasons as well.

When I run this using the Linux driver, my write call that initiates
sleeps for about a second (i.e. the timer period) and then returns, and
then there is data to read. When I run this running my RTDM driver, my
write call sleeps much less, it returns almost immediately, and there is
no data to read.

My question is therefore - have I made some obvious mistake in porting
the regular interrupts to RTDM interrupts in the code above? Am I using
RTDM interrupts correctly here? Or is the code I've written expectedly
behaving differently from the original code?

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

Andrija Stupar