Cobalt Preemption of kernel update_fast_timekeeper can cause deadlocks

Lange Norbert norbert.lange at andritz.com
Thu Dec 20 16:02:36 CET 2018

You are right, I did not realize that.
Userspace usually does not spinlock, so I consider those functions a lot more critical,
clock_gettime is also heavily used (especially for tracing).

Funny enough, the linux x86 vdso handles clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC) but not clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC_RAW).
Seems the common denominator would be to use rdtsc directly =/
(I know about the pitfalls, but our hardware should have a stable, invariant tsc)

> > That a rt thread (potentially just temporary promoted non-rt thread, or not
> lazily demoted yet) can additionally deadlock the system sits just on top of
> this issue.
> >
> > Regarding to what I am allowed to do:
> > AFAIK a thread started as cobalt thread can freely switch between
> domains, typically around syscalls and the switches are "lazy". What are the
> rules for a thread that needs to collect some data RT (potentially using some
> RT Mutexes with prio inheritance) calling into DSOs that aren’t compiled with
> the "cobalt wrappings" active (say a logging framework that uses libcs
> clock_gettime).
> > Do I manually have to demote the thread somehow before calling DSO
> functions, is it not allowed at all to use DSOs that were compiled with "cobalt
> wrappings"?
>
> If you are calling into an "unknown" non-RT blob, dropping from RT may
> actually be required. We do not promote explicit mode switches because
> they are not needed if you control (wrap) all your code. This might be  an
> exception.

The non-RT "blob" is the regular linux rootfs in my case, ie. libstdc++ and I plan
to use libnttg-ust and stuff like xml parsers.
I understand this as motivation to actually *have* the POSIX Skin (eases legacy code as well),
as soon as we can muster the time, then anything RT will be explicit and RT only

> >> with posix, you are already
> >> redirected to the RT-safe implementations of those functions.
> >
> > In my case (posix skin, not "native" as I replied earlier), the call
> > came from another DSO which is unaffected by the link-time wrapping.
> > I would likely have to LD_PRELOAD a checker DSO, seems more sane to
> > me, as the calls could originate from implicitly linked DSO aswell
> > (C++ runtime library)
>
> Is the reason that the other DSOs are not caught at link-time generic or
> specific to your build? The former case should be documented if it exists.

If non-RT libstdc++ calls the function clock_gettime, then it will do so as it totally
ignores what your compiled code does.
Too hook into this, you would need to make sure, that your replacement "clock_gettime" will be in the symbol table before libc is loaded.

> Irrespective of that, I would definitely be interested in a LD_PRELOAD-based
> checker that you can attach to an application easily, without the need to
> switch to link-time wrapping (which is not needed with non-posix skins).

If you don’t know lttng-ust, you could spend a hour or two playing with it,
Eg you can interpose and trace any malloc/free by just preloading the wrapper:
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-libc-wrapper your_app

This could help with non-posix skins mixing with dangerous other functions aswell.

Norbert

This message and any attachments are solely for the use of the intended recipients. They may contain privileged and/or confidential information or other information protected from disclosure. If you are not an intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you received this email in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the message and any attachment from your system.

ANDRITZ HYDRO GmbH

Rechtsform/ Legal form: Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung / Corporation

Firmensitz/ Registered seat: Wien

Firmenbuchgericht/ Court of registry: Handelsgericht Wien

Firmenbuchnummer/ Company registration: FN 61833 g

DVR: 0605077

UID-Nr.: ATU14756806

Thank You