[Xenomai] Xenomai community meeting 2018, meeting minutes

Karim Yaghmour karim.yaghmour at opersys.com
Fri Feb 9 17:00:38 CET 2018

Hi Wolfgang,

On 02/09/2018 06:00 AM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <20180208145121.7551c081 at mmd1pvb1c.ad001.siemens.net> you wrote:
>>    - usage stats could be extracted from our website, downloads,
>>      mailinglists
>
> We have to be very careful here.  German law is pretty strict about
> what you can (or rather must not) do with such data...

I'm obviously not in a position to provide any sort of legal advice nor
would I recommend violating any laws. However, it would probably be
worth getting some specifics on this instead of just shying away because
of an unspecified potential issue. The point is, it's my understanding
that there would be no selling nor advertising of this nor use for any
commercial purpose. The only purpose here is to get a better
understanding of who is using Xenomai and where they are physically
located to plan activities accordingly and provide a more accurate
picture to the larger open source community as to the composition of the
Xenomai user-base.

>>     - for now we do not look at that and try to not be nosy
>
> I can't parse that?
>
>>     - usage stats could be very useful for users as well
>>      - get an idea how popular Xenomai is
>>      - where in the world
>>      - which versions especially
>
> I doubt this will actually work.  In my experience, there is a
> pretty large base of users who intentionally do NOT advertise their
> use of Xenomai.

That's a good point. Still, Xenomai has historically suffered from
having a primarily "anonymous" user base. Yet, that user base is
hampered by the lack of seeming traction given that few are willing to
"endorse" the project.

That's the core issue. If no one is going to show public and strong
support for this project, it's going to be close to impossible to show
the value of the project to the wider open source community, especially
the Linux kernel developers. The project's value can only be argued for
so long simply based on logical arguments when compared to other approaches.

Cheers,

--
Karim Yaghmour
CEO - Opersys inc. / www.opersys.com