[Xenomai] rtdm_timer_start latency?

Auel, Kendall Kendall.Auel at 3DSystems.Com
Tue Feb 13 20:36:34 CET 2018

I encountered a similar problem with a hardware clock implementation. Our implementation of "ns_to_ticks" for the xnclock struct had a very small truncation error. Immediately after booting the system, we didn't see a problem. In that case the absolute time was small, thus making the truncation error negligible. However, after the system had been up a day or two, relative timers had a very large initial delay (100s of ms). Eventually the startup delays were many seconds, if the clock had been running for days. For relative time durations, the truncation in the time conversion was also negligible, so after the initial delay there was no problem.

You might take a look at ...xenomai/clock.c, there are a number of #ifdef statements for choosing which math functions to use.

In our case, the truncation occurred with this code (in our custom driver for the hardware timer):

	ticks = xnarch_ulldiv(ns, 1000000000/TIMER_HZ, &rem);
	if (rem)
		ticks++;
	return ticks;

Note the TIMER_HZ value is just a little less than 40000. Thus the truncation error is in the range from 0.0000000 to 0.000025 of the original ns value. In our case it was about 0.000010. If we didn't have a random-looking clock frequency we would have never noticed the issue.

Anyway, to fix the problem, we changed it to:

	return xnarch_llimd(ns, TIMER_HZ, 1000000000);

I hope this helps,
Kendall

(PS - does anybody have a good MS-Outlook compatible tool for bottom-posting?)