driver make files and target architecture size

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Tue Feb 12 09:20:40 CET 2019

On 2/12/19 5:25 AM, Don Newbold via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is my first post, so please excuse my shortcomings.
>
> I've been writing and maintaining Linux drivers for over 15 years, and
> am now being tasked with Xenomai support.
>
> 1. When I look at the driver make files included with the latest Xenomai
> download they look totally foreign. Is the existing Linux driver module
> makefile format usable or must another format be generated?

Xenomai uses regular Makefiles for the kernel bits it provides. It also
uses autoconf-generated Makefiles for the userland components. E.g.
kernel/cobalt/Makefile describes the build recipe for the Xenomai core
in a way that should be familiar to you. This makefile and the related
sources are introduced into a regular kernel tree by a script called
"prepare-kernel.sh".

You may find detailed information there:
https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/wikis/Installing_Xenomai_3

> 2. I'm familiar with building drivers to support 32-bit vs 64-bit
> targets. I see that Xenomai has in the past had x64 support, but I now
> only see x86. Please clarify the current x86 vs x64 support.

kernel/cobalt/arch/x86 includes both 32 and 64 bit support.