Disable watchdog

Giulio Moro g.moro at qmul.ac.uk
Mon Feb 18 12:23:19 CET 2019

Hi there,
I have my kernel (4.4.113-ti-xenomai-r149 on BeagleBone BlacK) compiled with
CONFIG_XENO_OPT_WATCHDOG=y
CONFIG_XENO_OPT_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT=4

I would like to experience the breeze of running without watchdog, to see what the bare-metal performance of the board are, removing the overhead of context switching and thread scheduling. I know this could be harmful for Linux, but I'd like to see what happens there. Is there any way I could disable the watchdog and have a thread busy waiting on a hardware flag, without recompiling the kernel with CONFIG_XENO_OPT_WATCHDOG=0 ?

I have tried  catching SIGXCPU, and also using pthread_sigmask, e.g.:
        sigset_t set;
        int s;
        sigemptyset(&set);
        sigaddset(&set, SIGXCPU);
        s = pthread_sigmask(SIG_BLOCK, &set, NULL);

but in both cases my thread is temporarily preempted when the watchdog triggers.

Thanks,
Giulio