Intel Turbo Mode

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Tue Feb 26 19:41:29 CET 2019

On 26.02.19 17:35, cagnulein via Xenomai wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>    i would like to give my contribution to this incredible project.
>   In these days i'm working on a Intel Atom E3930 (2 cores 1.3GHz with Turbo
> Mode to 1.8GHz) and Xenomai.
>   Everything working flawless, except the turbo mode.
>   Infact, in order to enabling the turbo mode, with the vanilla kernel, i
> have to enabling ACPI Processor causing high latency on Xenomai (over 350
> us).
>
>   I've create a patch for the vanilla kernel, that allows to enabling the
> Turbo Mode without adding the ACPI Processor!
>   In this way i can have cpu at maximum speed with a deterministic and low
> latency (under 36 us!).
>
>   Here you can find the patch. Maybe you can add it on ipipe?

Thanks for your contribution! We can consider adding this, I would just like to
double-check first if there aren't also patch-free ways today:

I always wanted to try out the runtime tunings described e.g. on
https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/realtime/documentation/howto/applications/cpuidle
to see if we could relax our build-time feature-exclusion set and rather do that
tuning e.g. on Xenomai application startup.

Would you be interested in in playing with such an approach?