Regarding Xenomai patch installation on Live USB

Meng, Fino fino.meng at intel.com
Fri Apr 24 17:11:39 CEST 2020

>From: gopi ratnakaram <gopi.ratnakaram at svayarobotics.com> Sent: Friday, April 24, 2020 3:44 PM
>
>Dear Fino,
>
>After doing all of the steps mentioned in the following link,
>https://github.com/intel/linux-stable-xenomai/wiki/Guide-
>the following error I am getting during testing on my C246P chipset based industrial motherboard loaded with Ubuntu18.04.
>$ sudo /opt/xenomai-3.1/bin/latency
>  0"000.000| BUG in low_init(): [main] Cobalt core not enabled in kernel
>
>Is there any installation related issue and how can I resolve this issue?
>I tried the same in my laptop loaded  with Ubuntu 16.04, I didn't face any issue and everything works fine. I am also checking with a laptop loaded with Ubuntu 18.04.
>I am totally confused that this issue is  with the motherboard or Ubuntu version?

Looks like u didn't select Xenomai patched kernel on grub menu;

$sudo nano /etc/default/grub
### comment out GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
### update GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
$sudo update-grub  ### don't forget this
$sudo reboot
### grub menu should show during boot, wait for 10 seconds,
### enter advanced options and select Linux 4.19.59-xenomai+
### u can check if kernel patched with Xenomai I-Pipe patches by
$dmesg | grep -i xenomai

We will add this part on the wiki;

BR / Fino (孟祥夫)
Intel – IOTG Developer Enabling

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 4:17 PM Meng, Fino <fino.meng at intel.com <mailto:fino.meng at intel.com> > wrote:

	>Thank you for your email response Fino.
	>
	>Maybe due to 4.9.* is too far away from Ubuntu 1804's original kernel; What will be the issue in this case? Due to any hardware
	>driver dependency causing this issue?
	>
	>We make this repo for convenience, Kernel version is 4.19.59 with some Intel BSP patches.
	>working good on Ubuntu 1804; but didn't make it on Live USB yet, https://github.com/intel/linux-stable-xenomai/wiki/Guide-
	>of-Xenomai-Build-and-Installation-on-Top-of-Ubuntu
	>
	>
	>Is there any restriction to use the Xenomai on live USB or can I proceed and install using the steps provided by you?

	We didn't study it yet, we internally build out live USB image from yocto/bitbake based codebase; u can try,

	>One more thing is I am trying to install this on a specific motherboard of industrial grade which is based on a c246p chipset and
	>core i7 6 core processor (i7 8700). Will my hardware cause any issue. Because I have installed Xenomai on different PCs and
	>Laptops multiple times and never faced any issue.

	We have seen 4.9.* working on newest WHL-U and other platform; the thing is if it fail to boot any certain machine,
	It take time to debug, u may need a serial port to printout boot log to speed up the debug process.