xeno-gpio-xilinx causes gpio-xilinx's IRQ callback(xgpio_irqhandler) to trigger rather than gpio-core's "gpio_pin_interrupt"

Josh Karch jkarch at FirstMode.com
Tue Jul 14 00:54:53 CEST 2020

________________________________
From: Greg Gallagher <greg at embeddedgreg.com>
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2020 3:43 PM
To: Josh Karch <jkarch at FirstMode.com>
Cc: Xenomai at xenomai.org <xenomai at xenomai.org>
Subject: Re: xeno-gpio-xilinx causes gpio-xilinx's IRQ callback(xgpio_irqhandler) to trigger rather than gpio-core's "gpio_pin_interrupt"

Hi Josh,

On Mon., Jul. 13, 2020, 6:37 p.m. Josh Karch via Xenomai <xenomai at xenomai.org<mailto:xenomai at xenomai.org>> wrote:
Hi,

With the CAN bus issues resolved, I now have a situation where the xeno-gpio-xilinx driver (gpio-core.c) causes a complete system lockup when IRQs are enabled and a GPIO toggle triggers the IRQ event.

Here's what I know:  I instrumented the NRT driver to see how deeply entrenched and intertwined the real-time and non real-time drivers are:

(1) xeno-gpio-xilinx calls gpio-core which piggybacks upon the Xilinx "gpio-xilinx" driver.
(2)It uses the OF scan information to create /dev/rtdm/gpio at address/gpioxxx driver pins.

When enabling interrupts:
(1)It uses the  NRT "Xgpio-request" function to request a gpio pin and set the pin to an input, though for some reason it calls the set gpio as input function twice
(2) It then calls xgpio-toirq twice for some reason
(3) It sets the IRQ type.  Only the rising edge IRQ is supported with the Xilinx Driver
(4) It uses the unmask function in the non RT driver to unmask the IRQ
(5) It then sets the gpio as input again. I think this is a side effect of calling the IOCTL to enable IRQ and then to block file descriptors on interrupt.
(6) Once the interrupt is triggered, on occasion the Non realtime xgpio_irqhandler gets called rather than the gpio_pin_interrupt function.  This makes me think the NRT driver is not properly setting the interrupt up to work with the Xenomai handler.  Once the non realtime xgpio_irqhandler gets called the code gets stuck in an infinite loop and crashes.

Sometimes the system freezes before using the handler, other times it runs the handler but it's not possible to break.

The following is a transcript of a time when the nrt handler is not called.    Otherwise you'd see a message when IRQ is triggered that the system continually is in a nrt IRQ handler loop.

So the question is: why is the non-rt handler being called and not the gpio-core rt_gpio "gpio-pin-interrupt"?

[  303.900487] requesting GPIO
[  303.903419] setting gpio 0 as input
[  303.907004] setting gpio 0 as input
[  303.910549] called xgpio to irq
[  303.913768] called xgpio to irq
[  303.916913] setting irq type 1
[  303.919990] unmasking IRQ
[  303.922600] setting gpio 0 as input
[  324.917162] rcu: INFO: rcu_sched detected stalls on CPUs/tasks:
[  324.923100] rcu:     0-...0: (1 ticks this GP) idle=66e/1/0x4000000000000000
softirq=8388/8389 fqs=2247
[  324.932321] rcu:     (detected by 3, t=5252 jiffies, g=12713, q=188)
[  324.938411] Task dump for CPU 0:
[  324.941629] xeno_gpio_teste R  running task        0   433    388 0x00000202
[  324.948682] Call trace:
[  324.951126]  __switch_to+0x94/0xf0
[  324.954522]  0xffffff8008dea658

Best,

Josh Karch

Do you have have the gic and the IRQ handlers in place for the xilinx-gpio xenomai driver?  The current implementation doesn't support interrupts.

Thanks

Greg

Hi Greg, so the only changes between the "gpio-core.c"  from stock Xenomai and the driver I'm working with is the section of code which adds dual-channel functionality to the Xilinx driver in "rtdm_gpiochip_scan_of."  These are the functions in gpio-core.  It seems there are a lot of functions in gpio-core dealing with interrupts.  The Xilinx stock driver provided by Xilinx has interrupt functions in there.  What else is missing?

Best,

Josh

static int gpio_pin_interrupt(rtdm_irq_t *irqh)
{
struct rtdm_gpio_pin *pin;
pin = rtdm_irq_get_arg(irqh, struct rtdm_gpio_pin);
pin->timestamp = rtdm_clock_read_monotonic();
rtdm_event_signal(&pin->event);
return RTDM_IRQ_HANDLED;
}
static int request_gpio_irq(unsigned int gpio, struct rtdm_gpio_pin *pin,
struct rtdm_gpio_chan *chan,
int trigger)
{
int ret, irq_trigger, irq;
if (trigger & ~GPIO_TRIGGER_MASK)
return -EINVAL;
if (!chan->requested) {
ret = gpio_request(gpio, pin->name);
if (ret) {
if (ret != -EPROBE_DEFER)
printk(XENO_ERR
"can not request GPIO%d\n", gpio);
return ret;
}
chan->requested = true;
}
ret = gpio_direction_input(gpio);
if (ret) {
printk(XENO_ERR "cannot set GPIO%d as input\n", gpio);
goto fail;
}
chan->has_direction = true;
gpio_export(gpio, true);
rtdm_event_clear(&pin->event);
/*
* Attempt to hook the interrupt associated to that pin. We
* might fail getting a valid IRQ number, in case the GPIO
* chip did not define any mapping handler (->to_irq). If so,
* just assume that either we have no IRQ indeed, or interrupt
* handling may be open coded elsewhere.
*/
irq = gpio_to_irq(gpio);
if (irq < 0)
goto done;
irq_trigger = 0;
if (trigger & GPIO_TRIGGER_EDGE_RISING)
irq_trigger |= IRQ_TYPE_EDGE_RISING;
if (trigger & GPIO_TRIGGER_EDGE_FALLING)
irq_trigger |= IRQ_TYPE_EDGE_FALLING;
if (trigger & GPIO_TRIGGER_LEVEL_HIGH)
irq_trigger |= IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_HIGH;
if (trigger & GPIO_TRIGGER_LEVEL_LOW)
irq_trigger |= IRQ_TYPE_LEVEL_LOW;
if (irq_trigger)
irq_set_irq_type(irq, irq_trigger);
ret = rtdm_irq_request(&pin->irqh, irq, gpio_pin_interrupt,
0, pin->name, pin);
if (ret) {
printk(XENO_ERR "cannot request GPIO%d interrupt\n", gpio);
goto fail;
}
rtdm_irq_enable(&pin->irqh);
done: