rt_task_set_priority does not increase priority of other task

Jan Kiszka jan.kiszka at siemens.com
Thu Sep 17 15:31:14 CEST 2020

On 17.09.20 14:01, Harco Kuppens wrote:

> On 17/09/2020 13:51, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> On 16.09.20 20:12, Harco Kuppens via Xenomai wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I found a problem with rt_task_set_priority function which does not
>>> increase priority of another task.
>>> However it works fine if you increase the priority of another task.
>>>
>>> Below is an en example program and its output, and we run this program
>>> on xenomai 3.08.
>>> The problem appears if we run the program on our xenomai image for the
>>> raspberry pi 3,
>>> and is also appears in our virtual box image.
>>> Both images can be found at :
>>>
>>>    * http://www.cs.ru.nl/lab/xenomai/raspberrypi.html
>>>    * http://www.cs.ru.nl/lab/xenomai/virtualbox.html
>>>
>>> The easiest way is to run the virtualbox image.
>>>
>>> The final question I have: is there an wrong usage of xenomai API in the
>>> example program,
>>> or is this a bug in xenomai?
>>>
>> Something is inconsistent here. Did you also check via
>> /proc/xenomai/sched/threads if that view is consistent with the result
>> of inquire?
> yes, and they also said the priority was not increased.
> You can repeat the experiment in the virtualbox image.
> Note: we use virtualbox so that students can do some exercise at home.
> The exerecises on hardware they must do on raspberry pi 3 in the lab.
> Normally a rt os on virtualbox would make no sense.

I'm doing most of Xenomai development in KVM, including kernel debugging
- no need to explain ;).

>> I vaguely recall issues of the latter but I also do not
>> recall any fix to 3.1, not to speak of anything that was not backported.
>
>> BTW, tried 3.1 as well?
> no, because I don't have it  installed. Could someone who has it running
> try this example on it, and check whether this   problem also occurs there?

There is something unexpected with master and also with
--enable-lazy-setsched. It's important to note that without that
feature, include for 3.0 which lacked that, the setprio call will switch
the caller into secondary mode. Still, that alone does not explain the
result to me yet. Thanks in advanced to Philippe to picking this up!

> Anyway it was pretty difficult to get xenomai 3.08 with gpio support to
> work on the raspberry pi 3.

Not sure ATM where we stand with that platform and the GPIO enabling.
Greg, Philippe?

> Took me a long time, and I rather stick with 3.0.8.
> We use raspberry pi's in a course on the radboud university where
> students get exercises in learning to use xenomai.
> Switching to new version would mean lot of work for me.

We maintain the demo image generator
https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai-images. There is no raspi target
yet, but it would likely make sense to add one eventually so that you
can easily generate SD card images, or even add own customizations on
top. I'm happy to explain more if there is interest.