rt_task_set_priority does not increase priority of other task

Harco Kuppens h.kuppens at cs.ru.nl
Wed Sep 23 14:58:10 CEST 2020

On 17/09/2020 19:49, Philippe Gerum wrote:
> [...]
>>> You can repeat the experiment in the virtualbox image.
>>> Note: we use virtualbox so that students can do some exercise at
>>> home. The exerecises on hardware they must do on raspberry pi 3 in
>>> the lab.
>>> Normally a rt os on virtualbox would make no sense.
>> I'm doing most of Xenomai development in KVM, including kernel
>> debugging - no need to explain ;).

>>> no, because I don't have it  installed. Could someone who has it
>>> running try this example on it, and check whether this   problem
>>> also occurs there?
>>>
>> There is something unexpected with master and also with
>> --enable-lazy-setsched. It's important to note that without that
>> feature, include for 3.0 which lacked that, the setprio call will
>> switch the caller into secondary mode. Still, that alone does not
>> explain the result to me yet. Thanks in advanced to Philippe to
>> picking this up!
> Tricky.
>
> In absence of --enable-lazy-setsched, we know that t2 switches to
> secondary mode as a result of calling rt_task_set_priority(), for the
> purpose of eagerly propagating the priority update first to the main
> (kernel) scheduler, _before_ telling Cobalt about it.
>
> t1 then t0 - which are still controlled by the Cobalt scheduler - may
> preempt t2, which runs code somewhere between
> __STD(pthread_setschedparam()) and
> XENOMAI_SYSCALL(sc_cobalt_thread_setschedparam_ex) in
> pthread_setschedparam_ex(), as they wake up from rt_timer_spin().
>
> The printf() output may be confusing, because as we see the "change prio
> task X to Y" message, we still cannot assume the operation was completed
> just yet. As mentioned earlier, t2 is crawling on the root stage at this
> point (low priority stage of the pipeline).
>
> As t1 then t0 grab the CPU which t2 just yielded, they manage to run
> their respective loop entirely before t2 has a chance to leave the
> (low-priority) secondary mode, displaying the old priority value
> Cobalt-wise, which is still pending update.
>
> In short, building with --enable-lazy-setsched may mitigate the issue in
> most cases, but there is no way to strictly synchronize the main and
> Cobalt schedulers when it comes to updating thread priorities only using
> the plain rt_task_set_priority()/pthread_setschedparam_ex() calls. There
> will always be a delay between the two updates, you only get to chose
> whether you want the main (linux) scheduler to be updated first at the
> expense of a mode switch, or Cobalt should be told first about the
> change (sparing a transition to secondary mode in the process), and the
> main kernel would be notified next.
>
> In the latter case, there is another gotcha involving glibc's caching of
> a pthread priority value: with --enable-lazy-setsched, that cached value
> won't be updated with the new value passed to rt_task_set_priority(), so
> __STD(pthread_getschedparam()) may return the old priority. Some
> comments in pthread_getschedparam_ex() give details.

I found a mistake in original problem statement

   I found a problem with rt_task_set_priority function which does not
   increase priority of another task.
   However it works fine if you increase the priority of another task.

The second line should have been:

  However it works fine if you increase the priority of the current task from the task itself.

I didn't completely understand the responses I got,
but can I conclude that  setting the priority of another task with the
rt_task_set_priority function just doesn't work?
Should that be fixed? Or must that be pointed out in the documentation?

Best regards,
Harco Kuppens