Is it possible to implement a real-time API to read the files on the disk?

Fino Meng fino.meng at linux.intel.com
Wed Jan 6 01:04:14 CET 2021

On Mon, Jan 04, 2021 at 07:58:53PM +0800, 孙世龙 sunshilong via Xenomai wrote:
> Is it possible to implement a real-time API to read the files on the disk?
>
> As far as I know, there is no such an interface now, but is it
> possible to achieve this goal?
>
> I would be grateful to have some help with this question.
>
> Best Regards
> Sunshilong

my first thinking, disks are heavily shared resources in a general OS, if
realtime API occupy it for a long time, non-realtime thread all have to
wait.

read a file is too much slow compare a realtime thread's latency/jitter
scope (< 20us)

depends on your use case, maybe possible to add a raw disk, only used by
the time critical code?

BR/fino