[CXP] some questions about "Common Xenomai Platform"

Hailongliu hailongliiu at yeah.net
Sat Jan 9 00:43:58 CET 2021

On 1/7/21 11:59 PM, Greg Gallagher wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 10:53 AM hailong via Xenomai <xenomai at xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai at xenomai.org>> wrote:
>
>     At 2021-01-04 01:38:04, "Philippe Gerum" <rpm at xenomai.org <mailto:rpm at xenomai.org>> wrote:
>     >
>     >Hailongliu via Xenomai <xenomai at xenomai.org <mailto:xenomai at xenomai.org>> writes:
>     >
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> I learned the "Common Xenomai Platform" program from this mail-list and wiki
>     >> of project Xenomai. This is a very attractive plan, as it will port Xenomai for
>     >> recent LTS kernel(v5.10).
>     >>
>     >> I noticed that  March 31, 2021 is the deadline for "CXP", dose that mean we
>     >> can expect the new features at Xenomai-3.3 ?
>     >
>     >Yes, that is the plan. Xenomai 3.3 is going to be the first release
>     >fully implementing the CXP. Xenomai 4 which is going to use a different
>     >real-time core will be developed in parallel to Xenomai 3.3, aiming at
>     >CXP-compliance too. It should be clear that March 31, 2021 is the date
>     >for completing the CXP specification, not that of any release
>     >implementing it, which can only happen later by definition.
>     >

>     Will the CXP or Xenomai 4 compatible with RT-patch over time?
>     In addition,   I learned that the legacy RTOS emulators (such as VxWorks)
>     will be excluded from Xenomai 3.x , neither Xenomai 4?
>
> That is correct, we don't have the resources to continue to support the RTOS emulators.  I believe it was left open that if someone
> wants to take this on as a maintainer they could be included.

Thank you for your kind reply.

Our work team members now are hesitating about which kernel version to choose
as our development baseline for Xenomai between linux-5.10 and linux-5.4,
because we find that there is a evl branch based on linux-5.4 but not for
linux-5.10 currently.

And we also want to know the compatibility between the Xenomai4 and rt-patch.

So, could you kind give me some advice for that?