[RFC] status of [meta-]xenomai for Yocto

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed May 5 10:19:50 CEST 2021

Hi Philippe, Jan, Henning,

On 03.05.21 19:30, Jan Kiszka via Xenomai wrote:
> On 03.05.21 19:16, Henning Schild via Xenomai wrote:
>> We have xenomai-images kind of maintained under the umbrella of the
>> project. But that is Isar and Yocto sure has its place as well. I have
>> also seen buildroot layers which include xenomai.
>>
>> Such integration systems tend to cause a lot of work. A project like
>> xenomai probably wants to be "very close" to one of them to allow
>> continous testing. We have that internally based on Isar and i think
>> Intel might be going the same way.
>>
>> Not against the idea, but also not convinced.
>>

> Was about to express the same concern: Who will test that those
> preintegrations still work, produce reasonable results? If people stand
> up and say, "hey, I'm doing that anyway already, will take care of
> this!", then this could work.

I had to integrate a couple of time Xenomai in a Yocto build and I had
thought about if it is worth to start a "meta-xemnomai". But after that,
supporting Xenomai in Yocto means two main things:

- add support for Xenomai libs and tools. Well, this is a single recipe
(at least in my build).
- patch the kernel running scripts/prepare-kernel.sh.

And as we can use just LTS kernel, the second one means to add a new
provider for kernel, let's say a linux-xenomai recipe.

But then, that's all. I do not know if this it is enough to add an own
meta-xenomai and to maintain it.

Could be an alternative path to try to push the required recipes
(kernel+libs) to OE-Core, exactly as it was done by Preemp-rt ? Recipes
are then part of a standard layer, and I see as advantage that they can
be shown by much more people and could help to advertise Xenomai.

Best regards,
Stefano

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de