"rtdm/nrtsig: move inband work description off the stack"

Philippe Gerum rpm at xenomai.org
Tue May 25 14:37:10 CEST 2021

Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka at siemens.com> writes:

> On 25.05.21 12:01, Philippe Gerum wrote:
>>
>> Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka at siemens.com> writes:

>>> E.g. pre-allocate the work object for data-free signals and use that -
>>> or not send it when it is in use, thus pending.
>>>

>> Ok, let's recap:
>>
>> - rtdm_nrtsig_pend(): does not allocate anything, merely uses a
>>   user-provided memory block, containing a request header. Current
>>   callers should either already care for not resending a request
>>   uselessly because it is pending (e.g. [1]), or their internal logic
>>   should prevent that (e.g. [2]). This interface always convey user data
>>   by reference.
>
> Ah, I fantasized that rtdm_nrtsig_pend would call rtdm_schedule_nrt_work
> to do the work, it's the other way around. False alarm here.
>

>> - rtdm_schedule_nrt_work(): does allocate a nrtsig_t struct in order to
>>   convey a request block we cannot squeeze into a work_struct, since the
>>   latter is in itself an anchor type the user may embed into its own
>>   private argument block. I'm unsure ensuring that
>>   rtdm_schedule_nrt_work() calls do not pile up would be worth it, as
>>   this call is not supposed to be used frenetically on some hot path in
>>   the first place. But if we'd want to do that, then we would have to
>>   change the signature of rtdm_schedule_nrt_work(), so that we gain a
>>   persistent context data we could use for determining whether a nrt
>>   work request is in flight. We could not probe the work_struct for that
>>   purpose, that would be racy.
>>
>> Do you see any way to have a smarter rtdm_schedule_nrt_work() without
>> changing its signature?
>
> There is no rule that prevents changing the signature if that is needed.
> However, the kernel is fine without allocation as well, using a very
> similar signature.

schedule_work() and rtdm_schedule_nrt_work() have a major difference:
the latter has to pass on the request from the oob to the in-band
context. This is what bugs us and creates the requirement for additional
mechanism and data.

> I do not yet understand way we need that indirection via the rtdm_nrtsig
> on Dovetail. I thought we can trigger work directly from the oob domain
> there, can't we? How do you handle such a case in evl so far?

Dovetail can trigger in-band work from oob via the generic irq_work()
service, we don't need the extra code involved in the I-pipe for the
same purpose. The gist of the matter is about having the same
implementation for rtdm_schedule_nrt_work() which works in both Dovetail
and I-pipe contexts: the way we do that is by using rtdm_nrtsig_pend()
which already abstracts the base mechanism for relaying oob -> in-band
signals.

On the other hand, EVL has the evl_call_inband[_from]() service, which
combines the irq_work and work_struct anchors we need into a single
evl_work type, which in turn can be embedded into a user request
block. This is what rtdm_schedule_nrt_work() does not expose, so it has
to build one internally by combining a dynamic allocation and the
user-provided work_struct.

> And the third case remains xnthread_signal, btw.

xnthread_signal() is used to trigger SIGDEBUG/SIGSHADOW/SIGTERM signals
for a thread, a seldom event. Optimizing there would be overkill, unless
the application behaves wrongly in the first place.